# Shell is sending crews back—but barrels are not yet confirmed

**Research cutoff: 10 October 2026, 12:01 Toronto / 16:01 UTC. Four-month horizon: 10 October 2026 to 10 February 2027.**

Shell has moved from evacuation to redeployment. Its October 10 storm update says improving Gulf conditions allowed it to begin returning personnel to **Mars, Olympus, Ursa, Vito and Appomattox**. That is the first useful operational direction in this monitoring window: the probability of a prolonged precautionary shutdown has fallen. It is not, however, a production restart notice. Shell did not report restored barrels, completed damage inspections or normal operations. [Shell storm update #4](https://www.shell.us/about-us/news-and-insights/media/us-storm-center/shell-us-storm-updates/2026-storm-updates/hurricane-isaias-update-4.html)

The distinction matters because Friday's market already treated most storm losses as temporary. WTI settled at $91.85, up just 0.39%, while the latest official pre-landfall survey showed 1.459 million barrels per day—71.51% of Gulf oil production—shut in. If crews return and production follows quickly, the storm premium should fade. If inspections find damage or refineries and LNG plants remain power-constrained, barrels can stay offline while demand also falls. [MMA/BSEE October 9 survey](https://www.bsee.gov/newsroom/latest-news/statements-and-releases/press-releases/mma-monitors-gulf-response-isaias3)

**Economic decision: Wait on WTI. Implementation: no position or order. Paper status: no assumed fill.** The new evidence weakens a hurricane long more than it establishes a short. No official restored-barrel total, refinery/LNG operating confirmation or post-landfall exact Micro WTI quote was available at the cutoff.

## Energy: what would turn Wait into a trade

One or two Micro WTI contracts would fit the portfolio's starter risk with a meaningful stop; contract granularity is not the blocker. The decision needs an observable direction:

- **Restoration fade:** consider short MCL only after an official fall in shut-in volumes, operator restart confirmation and a reopened-market price that still embeds a large storm premium.
- **Persistent-disruption long:** consider long MCL only if restored production lags while refineries remain operational and continue pulling crude.
- **Refined products:** a Micro Heating Oil or gasoline expression requires product-specific refinery impairment and a live quote. Upstream crew return cannot substitute for refinery evidence.
- **Natural gas:** avoid a hurricane-only trade. Offshore supply loss competes with LNG-feedgas and power-demand loss; fresh nominations and storage-adjusted demand are essential.

The latest USCG port table is internally ambiguous, showing some ports as both “Open” and Condition Zulu with October 9 timestamps. It does not establish reopening. Missing new evidence is not proof of either damage or restoration. Sunday price discovery and any 18:00 UTC official shut-in update are the next decision points.

## Simon intensified—but the transmission chain is incomplete

Pacific Hurricane Simon strengthened to **150 mph and 938 mb by 15:00 UTC**, while its tropical-storm wind field widened. NHC's discussion showed a slower, slightly westward track that increases the threat to coastal and inland Jalisco, although some models still keep the core offshore. [NHC advisory #13](https://prod-west-nhc.woc.noaa.gov/archive/2026/ep20/ep202026.public.013.shtml) · [NHC discussion #13](https://prod-west-nhc.woc.noaa.gov/archive/2026/ep20/ep202026.discus.013.shtml)

Simon belongs on the catalyst board, not automatically in a US energy position. No incremental Pemex, refinery, LNG, mine or major cargo-port outage was verified before the cutoff. Small-vessel and container-terminal restrictions are operational warnings, not quantified production losses. The necessary chain remains: storm track → named asset → measured throughput change → relevant futures benchmark. Without those links, buying WTI, gas or metals because Simon is a major hurricane would be a headline trade rather than a supported futures thesis.

## Paper book: hold the Treasury short, add zero

The simulated book remains short **one December 2026 10-year Treasury note future (ZNZ26)** from an assumed entry of 104.234375. The latest validated exact-contract reference remains **104.609375 at 20:59:57 UTC on October 9**. There was no Saturday ZN session and no new mark is invented. Open gross P&L remains **-$375.00**; simulated NAV remains **$1,002,118.25**.

| One-contract ZNZ26 arithmetic | USD |
|---|---:|
| Original entry-to-stop loss | $1,031.25 |
| Remaining mark-to-stop loss | $656.25 |
| Entry-to-target profit | $2,734.38 |
| Mark-to-target potential | $3,109.38 |

The existing stop at 105.265625 is 42 minimum ticks above the carried mark; the target remains 101.50. The forward target-to-stop ratio is 4.74:1 before costs and gaps. Sticky inflation and term premium support the short, but strong Treasury auction demand and crowded leveraged-fund shorts oppose an addition. A favorable ratio is not stronger evidence, and the one-contract position cannot be meaningfully trimmed without exiting.

**Decision: Hold -1 ZNZ26; add zero.** Preserve the stop, target and November 20 mandatory exit or fresh roll decision. Stops do not cap Sunday reopening gaps.

## Rates, FX and the RBI implementation test

No new rates or FX policy decision appeared after the prior cutoff. The RBI package remains important context: from October 12, the central bank will supply the full daily dollar requirements of three state oil companies while tighter derivative rules increase hedging friction. The reported 0.6% rupee move occurred in thin NDF trading before the prior cutoff and is not an exchange-listed futures price. [RBI dollar window](https://www.rbi.org.in/scripts/BS_PressReleaseDisplay.aspx?prid=63784)

**INR decision: Wait.** Monday's onshore/offshore alignment and reserve use matter more than the announcement itself. A liquid euro short remains the best G10 FX challenger, but five consecutive down weeks, old exact-contract pricing and overlap with the existing dollar/rates factor make chasing unattractive.

The October 12 US cash-bond holiday does not close CME futures. CME says all products have normal settlement times, although cash Treasury and repo markets are closed and clearing cash flows are constrained. That combination can weaken arbitrage and amplify gaps without eliminating futures price discovery. [CME settlement advisory](https://www.cmegroup.com/tools-information/holiday-calendar/files/2026/columbus-day-holiday-settlement-times-2026.pdf)

## Gold and cross-asset challengers

There was no new transaction-quality cross-asset signal after 10:01 UTC. Page refresh times are not trade times.

**Gold — Wait.** CME's separate one-ounce December gold contract remains at the earlier **4217.25** observation from 05:12:49 UTC, before the prior cutoff, on volume of 311. It trades 24/7 outside maintenance, so the limitation is unavailable fresh price evidence—not blanket weekend closure. It is a cash-settled one-ounce contract and cannot be relabeled as MGC. December Micro Gold's Friday 4216.3 settlement still offers only about 0.23 times buffered risk to the 4259 first objective with a 4088 invalidation. [CME 1-Ounce Gold](https://www.cmegroup.com/markets/metals/precious/1-ounce-gold.contractSpecs.html)

**Equities — Wait.** December ES at 7866 remains a Friday standard-contract proxy for MES. One MES short fits, but reward to a 7600 objective is only about 0.63 times buffered risk to 8200 and Friday did not confirm a breakdown.

**Copper — Wait.** The located 6.7110 December observation did not carry a new trade clock. China demand, strike and inventory evidence remain two-sided.

**Soybeans — Wait, best agriculture challenger.** Friday's soybean and meal rebound was stronger than corn, but a one-contract ZSX26 study from 1292 to a 1269.50 stop risks about $1,382 after a conservative gap reserve and costs, or 0.138% of NAV. A 1330 scenario pays about 1.37 times that buffered risk. That fits mechanically but not economically: the target is judgmental, positioning is already heavily long and no Saturday crop or demand surprise improved the setup.

**Corn — Avoid re-entry.** December 479.75 and March 494.25 retain 14.50 cents of carry, while Iowa cash averaged $4.37 on October 9. Comfortable supply remains bearish, but the prior paper short already realized $1,018 net and the current March base-case reward remains too small relative to a 535 invalidation.

Cotton, wheat and livestock remain Wait. Neither storm produced a quantified crop-loss estimate, and Friday cash or settlement observations are not Saturday price discovery.

## Priced in and portfolio interaction

The energy market had already priced a high probability that Gulf outages would be temporary; crew redeployment reinforces that view without completing it. Duration already prices significant tightening, which is why the ZN short remains one contract. The rupee now prices intervention support, but not a repaired external balance. Gold prices a softer-yield rebound, corn prices much of the USDA supply shock and equities still lack breakdown confirmation.

The differentiated portfolio decision remains narrow: retain one stop-defined duration short, but do not add correlated dollar, energy, gold or equity risk during incomplete weekend price discovery.

## Next 72 hours

- Any MMA/BSEE shut-in update around 18:00 UTC “as appropriate,” plus Shell, Chevron, refinery, LNG and port operating notices.
- Simon's official track and named Mexico port, energy or mining operating updates.
- Sunday October 11 at 22:00 UTC: standard energy, rates, equity and COMEX benchmark sessions reopen.
- Monday October 12: RBI oil-company dollar window begins; CME futures settle normally despite the US cash-bond holiday.
- Tuesday October 13 at 02:00 UTC: IMF World Economic Outlook; 03:15 UTC: Global Financial Stability Report.
- Tuesday at 07:45 UTC: Governor Waller's scheduled AI discussion; 10:00 UTC: Friday-derived Term SOFR publication.
- OPEC's Monthly Oil Market Report is scheduled for October 13, but its release time was not verified. Crop Progress later Tuesday and CPI Wednesday lie outside this window.

## Paper implementation record

No new paper fill was justified. Decisions: **Hold -1 ZNZ26, add zero; Wait on WTI, natural gas, INR, gold, MES, euro, copper, soybeans and other agricultural challengers; Avoid reopening corn or entering a Simon-only trade.** No real orders were placed.

*Public delayed data and dated official reports are used for research. Scenario levels, costs and margin reserves are analytical assumptions unless explicitly sourced. This is simulated research, not investment advice.*
